An acclaimed series of biographies of artists, writers, filmmakers, musicians and Hollywood stars. Profiles of Alexander Calder, Paul Simon, Charlie Chaplin and music producer John Hammond won Peabody Awards, while films about Edward R. Murrow, Lucille Ball, Buster Keaton, Lillian Gish and Leonard Bernstein (among others) won Emmys, and a study of the Algonquin Round Table won a 1987 Academy Award.
There are currently no upcoming episodes of this program scheduled on WNIT 34.1 or 34.2, but there may be in the future. If you have questions or concerns about this program's schedule, contact us.
Available Online Episodes
- B.B. King: The Life of Riley - B.B. King, born Riley B. King, was one of the most celebrated blues musicians of all time.
- Jascha Heifetz: God's Fiddler - Full Film - Discover the violin virtuoso through Itzhak Perlman, students and archival performances.
- Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' - Director's Cut - The definitive film about the legendary rock musician, Jimi Hendrix.
- Loretta Lynn: Still a Mountain Girl - "The Queen of Country Music” is still going strong after more than 50 years of music.
- Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise - Dr. Maya Angelou was a singer, dancer, activist, poet and writer who inspired generations.
- The Boomer List - Meet 19 iconic baby boomers from this influential generation born between 1946 and 1964.
- The Women's List - Meet 15 women who define contemporary American culture in Greenfield-Sanders’ new film.
Episodes available on passport:
- A Fierce Green Fire - Full Film - Witness the battle for a living planet in this exploration of the environmental movement.
- Althea - The story of Althea Gibson, queen of the highly segregated tennis world in the 1950s.
- American Ballet Theatre: A History - Full Episode - Ric Burns’ documentary on the rich, 75-year history of the preeminent ballet company.
- August Wilson: The Ground on Which I Stand - Full Film - The first documentary about the Tony- and Pulitzer-winning playwright August Wilson.
- Billie Jean King - For the first time, American Masters profiles a sports figure, Billie Jean King.
- Bing Crosby Rediscovered - Full Film - Crosby reigned supreme through three decades of radio, film, television and records.
- By Sidney Lumet - With candor and grace, Sidney Lumet reveals what matters to him as an artist a human.
- Carole King: Natural Woman - King tells her story in a new documentary with previously unseen and rare performances.
- Dorothea Lange: Grab a Hunk of Lightning - The story, struggles and profound body of work of photographer Dorothea Lange.
- Eero Saarinen: The Architect Who Saw the Future - Explore the life and work of Finnish-American modernist architectural giant Eero Saarinen.
- En Español: Pedro E. Guerrero: A Photographer’s Journey - Descubre la vida del fotógrafo Pedro E. Guerrero, colaborador de Frank Llloyd Wright.
- Fats Domino and The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll - How Fats Domino’s brand of New Orleans rhythm & blues morphed into rock 'n' roll.
- Marvin Hamlisch: What He Did For Love - Composer Marvin Hamlisch gave the world "A Chorus Line," "The Way We Were," and much more.
- Mel Brooks: Make a Noise - Mel Brooks: The 2000 Year Old Man.
- Mike Nichols: American Masters - The late, great director (The Graduate, Angels in America) discusses his 50-year career.
- Norman Lear: Just Another Version of You - The first documentary about the legend behind much of the bold television of the '70s.
- Pedro E. Guerrero: A Photographer's Journey - Discover the life and work of Pedro E. Guerrero, a collaborator of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- Philip Roth: Unmasked - Pulitzer Prize- and National Book Award-winning novelist Philip Roth
- Plimpton! Starring George Plimpton as Himself - Full Film - Journalist George Plimpton was a writer, Paris Review editor, amateur sportsman and more.
- Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a Faun - Full Film - The ballerina's career, struggle with polio, and influence on great choreographers.
Already activated your WNIT Passport account? Log In Here