An acclaimed series of biographies of artists, writers, filmmakers, musicians and Hollywood stars. Profiles of Alexander Calder, Paul Simon, Charlie Chaplin and music producer John Hammond won Peabody Awards, while films about Edward R. Murrow, Lucille Ball, Buster Keaton, Lillian Gish and Leonard Bernstein (among others) won Emmys, and a study of the Algonquin Round Table won a 1987 Academy Award.
A profile of chef Jacques Pépin, who elevated essential kitchen techniques to an art form and became one of America's most beloved food icons. Along with James Beard and Julia Child, he helped change how Americans viewed the world of chefs, restaurants and food. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Alice Waters and Her Delicious Revolution
This profile of Alice Waters charts the 'counter culinary' career of the proprietor of the legendary Berkeley, Cal., restaurant Chez Panisse. Waters, who launched Chez Panisse in 1971 because she wanted a place to 'eat with my friends,' expands on her social and environmental ethic throughout the hour, joined by writers R.W. Apple, Calvin Trillin, Michael Pollan, Eric Schlosser and Marian Cunningham, Gourmet-magazine editor Ruth Reichl and Chez Panisse suppliers. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Have questions or concerns about this program's schedule? Contact us.
Available Online Episodes
- Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' - Director's Cut - The definitive film about the legendary rock musician, Jimi Hendrix.
- S18 Ep8: Julia! America's Favorite Chef - Julia was a larger-than-life figure who revolutionized the way that Americans ate.
- S28 Ep2: Jascha Heifetz: God's Fiddler - Full Film - Discover the violin virtuoso through Itzhak Perlman, students and archival performances.
- S29 Ep8: The Women's List - Meet 15 women who define contemporary American culture in Greenfield-Sanders new film.
- S31 Ep4: James Beard: America's First Foodie - Today’s American food movement can be traced back to one man: James Beard.
- The Boomer List - Meet 19 iconic baby boomers from this influential generation born between 1946 and 1964.
Episodes available on passport:
- En Español: Pedro E. Guerrero: A Photographers Journey - Descubre la vida del fotógrafo Pedro E. Guerrero, colaborador de Frank Llloyd Wright.
- Mel Brooks: Make a Noise - Mel Brooks: The 2000 Year Old Man.
- S26 Ep4: Billie Jean King - For the first time, American Masters profiles a sports figure, Billie Jean King.
- S26 Ep5: Marvin Hamlisch: What He Did For Love - Composer Marvin Hamlisch gave the world "A Chorus Line," "The Way We Were," and much more.
- S27 Ep1: A Fierce Green Fire - Full Film - Witness the battle for a living planet in this exploration of the environmental movement.
- S27 Ep2: Plimpton! Starring George Plimpton as Himself - Ful - Journalist George Plimpton was a writer, Paris Review editor, amateur sportsman and more.
- S27 Ep3: Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a Faun - Full Film - The ballerina's career, struggle with polio, and influence on great choreographers.
- S27 Ep4: Dorothea Lange: Grab a Hunk of Lightning - The story, struggles and profound body of work of photographer Dorothea Lange.
- S27 Ep5: August Wilson: The Ground on Which I Stand - Full F - The first documentary about the Tony- and Pulitzer-winning playwright August Wilson.
- S28 Ep3: American Ballet Theatre: A History - Full Episode - Ric Burns documentary on the rich, 75-year history of the preeminent ballet company.
- S28 Ep5: Carole King: Natural Woman - King tells her story in a new documentary with previously unseen and rare performances.
- S28 Ep6: Loretta Lynn: Still a Mountain Girl - "The Queen of Country Music is still going strong after more than 50 years of music.
- S28 Ep9: Bing Crosby Rediscovered - Full Film - Crosby reigned supreme through three decades of radio, film, television and records.
- S29 Ep1: Althea - The story of Althea Gibson, queen of the highly segregated tennis world in the 1950s.
- S29 Ep2: Pedro E. Guerrero: A Photographer's Journey - Discover the life and work of Pedro E. Guerrero, a collaborator of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- S29 Ep3: B.B. King: The Life of Riley - B.B. King, born Riley B. King, was one of the most celebrated blues musicians of all time.
- S29 Ep4: Fats Domino and The Birth of Rock 'n' Roll - How Fats Dominos brand of New Orleans rhythm & blues morphed into rock 'n' roll.
- S30 Ep1: Mike Nichols: American Masters - The late, great director (The Graduate, Angels in America) discusses his 50-year career.
- S30 Ep8: Norman Lear: Just Another Version of You - The first documentary about the legend behind much of the bold television of the '70s.
- S30 Ep9: Eero Saarinen: The Architect Who Saw the Future - Explore the life and work of Finnish-American modernist architectural giant Eero Saarinen.
- S31 Ep1: By Sidney Lumet - With candor and grace, Sidney Lumet reveals what matters to him as an artist a human.
- S31 Ep2: Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise - Dr. Maya Angelou was a singer, dancer, activist, poet and writer who inspired generations.
Already activated your WNIT Passport account? Log In Here