Exploring the stories behind artifacts and historical curiosities, with comments from academics and appraisers.
Andrew Jackson's Mouth; Modoc Basket; Hot Town Poster
A poster with a clenched fist that describes police as "pigs"; a woodcarving of a mouth and chin that may have been part of an Andrew Jackson figurehead affixed to the USS Constitution; a basket that may be linked to a woman honored by Congress as a heroine of the 1872 to 1873 Modoc Indian War. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD
WB Cartoons, Galvez Papers, Mussolini Dagger
A box of cartoon drawings and cels reveals information about the early days of animation and the people behind it; emancipation papers for a female slave that were signed by a regional governor; a dagger that may have belonged to Benito Mussolini. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Florida Map; Marion Carpenter Camera; Drug Smuggling Doll
A camera that may have been used by the first female White House photographer to shoot a picture of President Truman; a 19th-century doll that might have been used to smuggle medicine into the Confederate South. Also: what a 15th-century map that has French, English and Spanish labels says about colonization of Florida. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Chicago Clock, Universal Friends, War Dog Letter
A family clock that may have been used to keep time for the entire Midwest during the 19th century; a document that may be linked to a religion founded by an American-born woman. Also: what went wrong with a WWII dog-training program on Cat Island (a Gulf Coast barrier island near Gulfport, Texas). (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Have questions or concerns about this program's schedule? Contact us.
Available Online Episodes
- Camp David Letter - Could this box hold information about the founding of a secret Presidential retreat?
- Elyse Luray on Being a History Detective - Elyse covers the tough questions about being on the History Detectives beat.
- S10 Ep1: Dylan Goes Electric, Beatles Autograph & Frank Zapp - An all rock-and-roll episode featuring stories on Bob Dylan, The Beatles and Frank Zappa.
- S10 Ep2: Civil War Derringers, KKK Records & Motown’s Bottom - In this episode, Wes tracks down the original owner of a pair of Civil War pistols.
- S10 Ep3: Book of Rogues, Empire State Crash & a Forbidden Pi - Country star Clint Black is floored by what he learns about his book of wanted posters.
- S10 Ep4: Bird of War, Lincoln Oath and War Spoils of a Peace - We investigate WWII era patches with an evocative symbol of a bird dropping a bomb.
- S10 Ep5: Titanic Picture Frame, Woolworth Signs, Nazi Spy To - Was this picture frame crafted from wood from the Titanic, the Lusitania, or neither?
- S10 Ep6: Vietnam Diary, Bootlegger’s Notebook and a Hollywoo - Wes searches for the family of a fallen North Vietnamese soldier.
- S10 Ep7: Colored Heroes, Valley Forge Map and a Transistor R - U.S. Senator Charles Schumer helps Tukufu track down the true story behind a WWI poster.
- S10 Ep8: Mysteries from the Wild West - The History Detectives investigate four stories from the American West.
- S10 Ep9: Bill of Sale, Cobb Powder Horn and the Star Spangle - Eduardo investigates the story behind a Bill of Sale for a 17-year old “negro girl".
- S11 Ep1: HDSI - Civil War Sabotage? - The steamship Sultana exploded without warning one night in 1865, killing 1,800 people.
- S11 Ep2: HDSI - The Disappearance of Glenn Miller - In 1944, bandleader Glenn Miller boarded a plane for Paris and was never seen again.
- S11 Ep3: HDSI - Texas Servant Girl Murders - Before Jack the Ripper, a serial killer walked the streets of Austin, Texas.
- S11 Ep4: HDSI - Who Killed Jimmy Hoffa? - Notorious teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa disappeared without a trace in 1975. Was he murdered?
- S5 Ep1: 3-D Cuban Missile Crisis - Investigating a projection screen with possible Cuban Missile Crisis connections.
- S5 Ep5: Season 5, Episode 5 - Great Mexican War Posters; Nora Holt Autograph Book; Muhlenberg Robe
- S6 Ep10: Season 6, Episode 10 - Blueprint Special; Monroe Letter; Atocha Spanish Silver
- S6 Ep1: Season 6, Episode 1 - World War II Diary; 1856 Mormon Tale; Annie Oakley Coin
- S6 Ep2: Season 6, Episode 2 - Red Hand Flag; Seth Eastman Painting; Isleton Tong
- S6 Ep3: Season 6, Episode 3 - Japanese Balloon Bomb; Society Circus Program; Camp David Letter
- S6 Ep4: Season 6, Episode 4 - China Marine Jacket; Airstream Caravan; Lincoln Forgery
- S6 Ep5: Season 6, Episode 5 - Hindenburg Artifact; Bonus Army Stamp; Dempsey Fight Bell
- S6 Ep7: Season 6, Episode 7 - Black Tom Shell; USS Olympia Glass; Front Street Blockhouse
- S6 Ep8: Season 6, Episode 8 - John Adams Book; Mankato Spoon; NC-4: First Across The Atlantic
- S6 Ep9: Season 6, Episode 9 - Shipwreck Cannons; Connecticut Farmhouse; Kahlil Gibran Painting
- S7 Ep1: Season 7, Episode 1 - Psychophone; War Dog Letter; Pancho Villa Watch Fob
- S7 Ep2: Season 7, Episode 2 - Manhattan Project Patent; Galleon Shipwreck; Creole Poems
- S7 Ep3: Season 7, Episode 3 - St. Valentine's Day Massacre; Booth Letter; Cemetery Alarm
- S7 Ep4: Season 7, Episode 4 - Sideshow Babies; Lubin Photos; Navajo Rug
- S7 Ep5: Season 7, Episode 5 - Tokyo Rose Recording; Crazy Horse Photo; World War II Diary
- S7 Ep6: Season 7, Episode 6 - Amelia Earhart Plane; Fillmore Pardon; Boxcar Home
- S7 Ep8: Season 7, Episode 8 - Mussolini Dagger; Liberia Letter; N.E.A.R. Device
- S7 Ep9: Season 7, Episode 9 - WPA Mural Studies; George Washington Miniature; Japanese Balloon Bomb
- S8 Ep11: Season 8, Episode 11 - Chicago Clock; Universal Friends; War Dogs
- S8 Ep12: Season 8, Episode 10 - WB Cartoons; Galvez Papers; Mussolini's Dagger
- S8 Ep1: Season 8: Episode 1 - Space Boot; Satelloon; Moon Museum
- S8 Ep2: Season 8, Episode 2 - Iwo Jima Map; Copperhead Cane; Theremin
- S8 Ep3: Season 8, Episode 3 - Lauste Film Clip; Baker's Gold; Transatlantic Cable
- S8 Ep4: Season 8, Episode 4 - Barton Letter; Andrew Jackson's Mouth; Spybook
- S8 Ep5: Season 8, Episode 5 - Cromwell Dixon; Bartlett Sketchbook; Duke Ellington Plates
- S8 Ep6: Season 8, Episode 6 - Korean War Letter; Diana; Lookout Mt. Painting
- S8 Ep7: Season 8, Episode 7 - St.Valentine's Day Massacre; G. Washington Miniature; Stalag 17 Portrait
- S8 Ep8: Season 8, Episode 8 - Hot Town Poster; Face Jug; Lost City of Gold
- S8 Ep9: Season 8, Episode 9 - Jackie Robinson All-Stars; Modoc Basket; Special Agent Five
- S9 Ep10: Order of Leopold, Suffrage Pennant, WB Cartoon - A medal of high honor, pivotal women's voting rights campaign, and unsung cartoon heroes.
- S9 Ep11: Club Continental, St. V-Day Massacre, Society Circu - Underworld calling card, Gang massacre shotgun, and High Society in the Depression.
- S9 Ep12: Chandler Tintype, Hollywood Indian Ledger, Harlem H - Slave in a Confederate Uniform, Hollywood Indian Payroll, Fighting for Harlem Land Rights.
- S9 Ep1: A Hero in Hawaii, Civil War Cannon & Stuntman Pionee - A WWII hero in Hawaii, the first shot of secession, and a stuntman who changed Hollywood.
- S9 Ep2: Propaganda Leaflet,Tiffany Window & Spanish Civil Wa - Decoding a propaganda leaflet, the women behind Tiffany and a father's forgotten tribute.
- S9 Ep3: John Brown Spear, US Bullet in Siberia & Ronald McDo - A spear from John Brown's raid, America's Siberian war and Ronald McDonald's first suit.
- S9 Ep4: Civil War Letters, Aviation Fabric & African America - A story of two Civil War letters, mystery aviation autographs & a 1950s black comic book.
- S9 Ep5: Top Secret Drone, Roosevelt's War Club & Clara Barto - A WWII prototype drone, a war memento for Teddy Roosevelt and a letter from Clara Barton.
- S9 Ep6: Japanese Cane, Revolutionary Telescope & I.W. Baker' - An internment camp cane, the spyglass that saw revolution and a rare gold rush relic.
- S9 Ep7: Hot Town Poster, Andrew Jackson Mouth, and Modoc Bas - An angry poster from the violent 60s, reuniting a broken statue, and a heroine's basket.
- S9 Ep8: Marion Carpenter Camera, Drug Smuggling Doll, Florid - A first in White House photography, a doll used to smuggle drugs, an early map of Florida.
- S9 Ep9: 1775 Almanac, Exercise Records, Moon Museum - A family diary of the Revolution, a 20s media fitness guru, and is Warhol art on the moon?
- Season 7 Highlights - Investigating strange and mysterious objects from the past.
- Season 7, Episode 10 - Stalag 17 Portrait; Seadrome; Black Tom Shell
- Season 7, Episode 11 - Duke Ellington Plates; "Scottsboro Boys" Stamp; Civil War Bridge