PBS's signature (and multi-award-winning) natural-history series uses gifted wildlife documentarians and stunning photography to reveal what its first host, Donald Johanson, called `the magic and mystery of the fascinating natural world.' The series has garnered numerous prizes, including the Sierra Club Award; and both an Emmy and a Peabody in 1987 for `A Season in the Sun,' a memorable portrait of East Africa by Alan and Joan Root. Its first show was the lyrical `Flight of the Condor.'
A look at the challenges young animals face. While some are nurtured by their mothers or mentors, others must fend for themselves almost immediately after birth. Included: finding food; avoiding predators; and making friends. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD
Have questions or concerns about this program's schedule? Contact us.
Available Online Episodes
- Parrots in the Land of Oz - NATURE tracks down the cockiest characters in the land down under.
- S19 Ep1: Cloud: Wild Stallion of the Rockies - NATURE follows an extraordinary stallion, whose life has been recorded since his birth.
- S25 Ep11: Dogs That Changed the World: Rise of the Dog - This film explores how the domestication of dogs might have taken place.
- S25 Ep12: Dogs That Changed the World: Dogs By Design - The explosion of dog types into the roughly 400 breeds and dogs' role in medical care.
- S26 Ep11: The Gorilla King - Among the mountain gorillas of Rwanda, Titus reigns as king.
- S27 Ep8: Why We Love Cats and Dogs - Relationships with cats and dogs are some of the longest and most intimate of our lives.
- S27 Ep9: Kilauea: Mountain of Fire - Kilauea, on Hawaii's Big Island, is the world's most active volcano.
- S28 Ep1: Cloud: Challenge of the Stallions - The returning saga of Cloud, the wild stallion.
- S28 Ep6: Clash: Encounters of Bears and Wolves - In Yellowstone National Park, two predators reign supreme: the grizzly bear and the wolf.
- S28 Ep8: Invasion of the Giant Pythons - Florida's Everglades National Park is home to a growing number of Burmese pythons.
- S29 Ep12: Salmon: Running the Gauntlet - Runs of salmon are now conceived in laboratories, raised in tanks, and farmed in pens.
- S30 Ep1: Radioactive Wolves - What happens to nature after a nuclear accident?
- S32 Ep6: Honey Badgers: Masters of Mayhem - Nature follows one of the most fearless animals in the world: the honey badger.
- S32 Ep9: Touching the Wild - A biologist crosses the species divide and becomes part of a wild mule deer family.
- S33 Ep10: Animal Homes: Cities - Animals congregate in huge colonies partly out of necessity and partly for the security.
- S33 Ep11: Mystery Monkeys of Shangri-La - Follow a family of Yunnan snub-nosed monkeys living in the highest forests in the world.
- S33 Ep13: The Sagebrush Sea - The Greater Sage-Grouse and other wildlife struggle to survive in a rugged landscape.
- S33 Ep2: A Sloth Named Velcro - A tiny orphaned sloth changes the course of a woman's life.
- S33 Ep6: The Last Orangutan Eden - Ecologist Chris Morgan visits endangered orangutans in Northern Sumatra.
- S33 Ep8: Animal Homes: The Nest - The first in a three-part series about how animals build their remarkable homes.
- S33 Ep9: Animal Homes: Location, Location, Location - Finding a good base of operations is key to successfully raising a family.
- S34 Ep1: Animal Reunions - What happens when people are reunited with wild animals they forged bonds with long ago?
- S34 Ep2: Soul of the Elephant - An intimate look at one of the world’s most intelligent and sensitive animals.
- S34 Ep5: India's Wandering Lions - Explore the extraordinary story of Asia’s last lions.
- S34 Ep8: Moose: Life of a Twig Eater - And intrepid cameraman spends a year documenting the life of a moose calf and its mother.
Episodes available on passport:
- Rhinoceros - Meet the world’s five species of rhino, all struggling for survival.
- S27 Ep10: Frogs: The Thin Green Line - It is the greatest mass extinction since the dinosaurs.
- S28 Ep3: Black Mamba - The black mamba is one of Africa's most dangerous and feared snakes.
- S28 Ep7: Wild Balkans - In the Balkan Peninsula, ancient forests and vast wetlands harbor pristine wilderness.
- S29 Ep1: Echo: An Elephant to Remember - A look back at this remarkable animal.
- S29 Ep3: Braving Iraq - Azzam Alwash is making an effort to return life to the paradise he remembers.
- S29 Ep4: Wolverine: Chasing the Phantom - A complex image of the wolverine is just beginning to emerge.
- S29 Ep6: Elsa's Legacy: The Born Free Story - The true story that inspired "Born Free".
- S29 Ep7: Birds of the Gods - The strange and spectacular birds of paradise.
- S30 Ep13: Cracking the Koala Code - Learn what’s necessary to support a population of koalas by cracking the koala code.
- S30 Ep3: Jungle Eagle - NATURE enters the secret world of the harpy eagle.
- S30 Ep4: My Life as a Turkey - One man's remarkable experience of raising a group of wild turkey hatchlings to adulthood.
- S31 Ep10: The Mystery of Eels - The mysterious eel is found all over the globe, in fresh and salt water ecosystems alike.
- S31 Ep11: Legendary White Stallions - The striking white Lipizzaner stallions have been thrilling audiences for centuries.
- S31 Ep13: Great Zebra Exodus - Zebras embark on a mass migration from the saltpans of Botswana in search of water.
- S31 Ep1: Siberian Tiger Quest - Ecologist Chris Morgan embarks on a challenge to find and film a wild Siberian tiger.
- S31 Ep3: Animal Odd Couples - Love apparently knows no boundaries in the animal kingdom.
- S31 Ep8: Cold Warriors: Wolves and Buffalo - How wolves and buffalo live together in what seems like a forgotten corner of the world.
- S32 Ep11: Leave it to Beavers - Nature’s greatest hydro-engineers transform landscapes
- S32 Ep12: The Gathering Swarms - High-speed cameras track the spectacle of animals traveling in inconceivable numbers.
- S32 Ep2: Love in the Animal Kingdom - Animals dance, sing, flirt, and compete to find and secure a mate.
- S32 Ep3: Parrot Confidential - Parrots and the bittersweet world they share with humans.
- S32 Ep4: Meet the Coywolf - The mysterious coywolf is a mixture of western coyote and eastern wolf.
- S32 Ep7: Ireland's Wild River - Journey down the Shannon, Ireland's wild river.
- S32 Ep8: My Bionic Pet - Meet inspiring disabled animals and individuals who help them persevere and thrive.
- S33 Ep3: Invasion of the Killer Whales - A shift in power is taking place at the top of the world.
- S33 Ep7: Owl Power - Explore the superpower-like abilities of these mysterious nighttime hunters
- S35 Ep1: Super Hummingbirds - New technology gives us an intimate look at these magical little birds.
- S35 Ep3: Giraffes: Africa's Gentle Giants - An international team of wildlife experts relocate the world’s rarest giraffes.
- S35 Ep4: The Story of Cats | Into the Americas - Discover how cats first crossed from Asia into North America and became the top predators.
- S35 Ep5: The Story of Cats | Asia to Africa - Discover how the first cats arose in the forests of Asia and later came to conquer Africa.
- Spy in the Wild | Episode 1 | Love - Spy Creatures explore the rarely seen emotions of animals.
- Spy in the Wild | Episode 2 | Intelligence - Spy Creatures infiltrate the world of animal intelligence, ingenuity, and creativity.
- Spy in the Wild | Episode 3 | Friendship - Spy Creatures and their new wild friends rely on each other to look out for predators.
- Spy in the Wild | Episode 4 | Bad Behavior - Spy Creatures infiltrate the underground world of animal mischief, crime, and retribution.
- Spy in the Wild | Episode 5 | Meet the Spies - Learn how the cast of animatronic Spy Creatures were created.
- Yosemite - As climate changes and temperatures rise, Yosemite Valley is a wilderness at risk.
Already activated your WNIT Passport account? Log In Here