Science-documentary series that demystifies a vast range of science, technology and history topics, and includes the human aspect of the story. It has won six Peabody Awards and more than 20 Emmys (four in 2002 alone) since its 1974 debut. Memorable shows include 1983's "The Miracle of Life", about the conception and development of a fetus, and 2002's "Why the Towers Fell".
Secrets of the Sky Tombs
The Season 44 premiere focuses on the Himalayas, which were among the last places on Earth settled by humans. Scientists scale sheer cliffs; and discover rock-cut tombs filled with human bones and such intriguing artifacts as gold masks and Chinese silk. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Prediction by the Numbers
How predictions underpin nearly every aspect of life and why some succeed spectacularly while others fail. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Chinese Chariot Revealed
Experts reconstruct and test China's first super-weapon, the chariot, which dominated the battlefields for more than 1000 years. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT HDTV 34.1 Stereo HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Iceman Murder Mystery
An autopsy on the 5,000-year-old remains of Otzi the Iceman, the mummified corpse recovered from a glacier in the Italian Alps in 1991, reveals details of life during the Copper Age, including people's diet and the types of diseases they dealt with. (60 minutes)
Schedule Channel Audio HD WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo WNIT InFocus 34.2 Stereo
Have questions or concerns about this program's schedule? Contact us.
Episodes available on passport:
- S23 Ep11: Einstein Revealed - Einstein's letters shed light on his revolutionary discoveries and his forbidden loves.
- S23 Ep3: B-29 Frozen in Time - In Greenland, a deserted B-29 bomber awaits rescue for more than fifty years.
- S27 Ep15: Dying to Be Thin - Anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders are on the rise. What can be done?
- S31 Ep11: Origins: Earth is Born - Journey back to the beginning of everything: the universe, Earth, and life itself.
- S31 Ep12: Origins: How Life Began - Journey back to the beginning of everything: the universe, Earth, and life itself.
- S31 Ep13: Origins: Where are the Aliens? - Journey back to the beginning of everything: the universe, Earth, and life itself.
- S31 Ep14: Origins: Back to the Beginning - Learn about the elements and their roles in the universe.
- S31 Ep18: Ancient Refuge in the Holy Land - Israel's remote Cave of Letters holds clues to a Jewish uprising against the Romans.
- S31 Ep6: Life and Death in the War Zone - An American combat hospital mobilized in Iraq faces a daily drama of wartime treatment.
- S32 Ep13: Einstein's Big Idea - The story behind the world's most famous equation, e=mc2
- S32 Ep17: Newton's Dark Secrets - Centuries old manuscripts reveal the hidden pursuits of a scientific genius.
- S32 Ep18: Storm That Drowned a City - What led to the devastating floods that Hurricane Katrina unleashed on New Orleans?
- S33 Ep14: Monster of the Milky Way - Does a supermassive black hole lurk at the center of our galaxy?
- S34 Ep16: Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial - Science is "exhibit A" in a landmark trial on the teaching of evolution.
- S35 Ep16: The Bible's Buried Secrets - An archeological detective story traces the origins of the Hebrew Bible.
- S35 Ep18: Is There Life on Mars? - The search for life on the Red Planet heats up with the discovery of frozen water.
- S35 Ep19: The Big Energy Gamble - Can California's ambitious plan to cut greenhouse gases actually succeed?
- S35 Ep1: Astrospies - An elite corps of U.S. astronauts is trained to gather intelligence on the Soviets.
- S35 Ep3: Secrets of the Parthenon - How did the ancient Athenians build this near-flawless icon of Greece's golden age?
- S35 Ep7: Ape Genius - Experts zero in on what separates humans from our closest living relatives.
- S35 Ep9: Car of the Future - The "Car Talk" guys look for a new breed of clean, fuel-efficient vehicles.
- S36 Ep13: Becoming Human Part 1 - First Steps: 6 million years ago, what set our ancestors on the path from ape to human?
- S36 Ep14: Becoming Human Part 2 - Birth of Humanity: New discoveries reveal how early humans hunted and formed families.
- S36 Ep15: Becoming Human Part 3 - Last Human Standing: Many human species once shared the globe. Why do we alone remain?
- S36 Ep16: Lizard Kings - Meet the monitors, the largest, fiercest, and craftiest lizards on Earth.
- S36 Ep8: Doctors' Diaries - Seven doctors, 21 years... Saving lives is only part of the story.
- S37 Ep12: Emergency Mine Rescue - Engineers and NASA scientists aid an all-out effort to save 33 trapped Chilean miners.
- S37 Ep7: Mind Over Money - Can markets be rational when humans aren't?
- S38 Ep10: Japan's Killer Quake - An account and investigation of the epic earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear crisis.
- S38 Ep15: Iceman Murder Mystery - An investigation of a 5,000-year-old mummy reconstructs his death and way of life.
- S38 Ep1: Deadliest Earthquakes - Big quakes are inevitable, but can we prevent their devastation?
- S38 Ep8: Venom: Nature's Killer - Hunting down the most venomous animals to reveal their medical mysteries.
- S38 Ep9: Power Surge - Are we finally on the brink of a clean energy revolution?
- S39 Ep10: Deadliest Tornadoes - Why was the 2011 tornado season in the U.S. so extreme, and why did so many die?
- S39 Ep11: Why Ships Sink - Are you safe aboard a modern cruise ship?
- S39 Ep14: Mystery of Easter Island - A team tests a theory on how the ancient stone statues were moved, using a 15-ton replica.
- S39 Ep16: Inside the Megastorm - Explore what made Megastorm Sandy so much more devastating than other hurricanes.
- S39 Ep1: Deadliest Volcanoes - How can we best prepare for the most lethal volcanic eruptions?
- S39 Ep2: Bombing Hitler's Dams - Can experts recreate an Allied attack from WWII and destroy dams with a bouncing bomb?
- S39 Ep3: 3D Spies of WWII - The allies used special arial photos to deal a blow to the Nazi rocket program.
- S39 Ep4: Mystery of a Masterpiece - Experts investigate whether a portrait sold for about $20,000 in 1998 is a lost Leonardo.
- S39 Ep5: Ice Age Death Trap - Experts uncover a site in Colorado packed with fossil mammoths and other extinct beasts.
- S39 Ep7: Secrets of the Sun - New tools let scientists better grasp our star's potentially destructive solar storms.
- S39 Ep8: Separating Twins - Follow the story of twin girls joined at the head, as surgeons prepare to separate them.
- S40 Ep14: Manhunt—Boston Bombers - Which technologies worked in the race to track down the men behind the marathon attack?
- S40 Ep15: Oklahoma's Deadliest Tornadoes - Hear stories from survivors of Moore’s tornado and meet scientists who stalk these storms.
- S40 Ep1: Doomsday Volcanoes - Could the explosion of Iceland's ticking time bombs cause cold and famine worldwide?
- S40 Ep23: At the Edge of Space - Can scientists unravel the mysterious phenomena that lurk between Earth and space?
- S40 Ep24: Asteroid: Doomsday or Payday? - Will future asteroids trigger massive extinctions—or be mined for precious minerals?
- S40 Ep2: Decoding Neanderthals - Shared DNA reveals a deep connection with our long-vanished human cousins.
- S40 Ep5: Building Pharaoh's Chariot - A team uncovers the advanced engineering behind an ancient Egyptian war machine.
- S40 Ep8: Mind of a Rampage Killer - Can science help us understand why some people commit horrific acts of mass murder?
- S41 Ep11: Why Sharks Attack - Will analyzing the hunting instincts of this endangered predator reduce deadly attacks?
- S41 Ep12: Escape from Nazi Alcatraz - A crack team rebuilds a glider that POWs hoped to catapult off the top of Colditz Castle.
- S41 Ep17: Ben Franklin's Balloons - Experts recreate the French's daring first manned flights, which Franklin had chronicled.
- S41 Ep18: First Air War - How did fighter planes evolve from rickety biplanes into deadly machines during WWI?
- S41 Ep19: Bigger Than T. rex - Meet Spinosaurus—the lost killer of the Cretaceous.
- S41 Ep1: Alien Planets Revealed - Are we alone—and if not, what might the inhabitants of far-flung worlds look like?
- S41 Ep20: Emperor's Ghost Army - Explore the buried clay warriors, chariots, and bronze weapons of China’s first emperor.
- S41 Ep22: First Man on the Moon - He risked his life for the nation and became a world icon, but who was Neil Armstrong?
- S41 Ep2: Zeppelin Terror Attack - Discover how Germany’s Zeppelins rained fiery terror on London in World War I.
- S41 Ep3: Ghosts of Murdered Kings - Bronze age bog bodies reveal the strange beliefs of the long-vanished peoples of Europe.
- S41 Ep5: Great Cathedral Mystery - Master craftsmen explore how Florence’s monumental dome was built nearly 600 years ago.
- S41 Ep6: Killer Typhoon - What made Haiyan so destructive, and how can we prepare for the next monster storm?
- S42 Ep10: Nazi Attack on America - A sunken German U-boat off the coast of New Orleans tells the story of Operation Drumbeat.
- S42 Ep11: Lethal Seas - A unique coral garden in Papua New Guinea shows what the future may hold.
- S42 Ep12: Secrets of Noah's Ark - A team attempts to build the flood boat using inscriptions from an ancient clay tablet.
- S42 Ep14: Nuclear Meltdown Disaster - Go inside the Fukushima power plants for the minute-by-minute story of what went wrong.
- S42 Ep16: Arctic Ghost Ship - An astonishing find could solve the mystery of Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition.
- S42 Ep1: Big Bang Machine - Explore the deepest mysteries of the early universe and the quest to find the Higgs Boson.
- S42 Ep2: Sunken Ship Rescue - A team of 500 engineers and divers struggle to raise the Costa Concordia cruise ship.
- S42 Ep3: Sinkholes—Buried Alive - The catastrophic collapse of the ground beneath our feet is a growing worldwide hazard.
- S42 Ep4: Hagia Sophia: Istanbul's Ancient Mystery - How has this unique structure, built on a seismic fault, survived centuries of quakes?
- S42 Ep5: Petra: Lost City of Stone - How did early engineers carve tombs into rock cliffs and funnel water to this desert city?
- S42 Ep6: Colosseum: Roman Death Trap - 1500 years ago, how did the Romans engineer bloody spectacles and reenact sea battles?
- S43 Ep11: Wild Ways - Explore how newly established wildlife corridors offer hope to endangered species.
- S43 Ep13: Operation Lighthouse Rescue - Join engineers as they race to rescue a historic lighthouse from certain doom.
- S43 Ep14: Bombing Hitler's Supergun - Discover how Allied forces conspired to destroy one of Hitler’s most diabolical weapons.
- S43 Ep3: Mystery Beneath the Ice - What’s behind the death of a tiny creature with an outsized role in the Antarctic?
- S43 Ep4: Himalayan Megaquake - The 2015 quake that rocked Nepal was the biggest in 90 years—can we forecast the next one?
- S44 Ep3: Search for the Super Battery - Explore the hidden world of energy storage and how it holds the keys to a greener future.
- S44 Ep4: Ultimate Cruise Ship - Join pioneering shipbuilders as they embark on a feat of maritime engineering.
- S44 Ep5: The Origami Revolution - Engineers are using origami to design drugs, micro-robots, and future space missions.
- S44 Ep6: Why Trains Crash - Can new crash prevention technology help us avoid deadly train accidents?
- Secrets of the Sky Tombs - Evidence discovered in the world’s highest tombs reveals ancient rituals and beliefs.
- The Nuclear Option - How will we power the planet without wrecking the climate?
Already activated your WNIT Passport account? Log In Here