Employment and Internships
Director of Development
PBS Michiana-WNIT in South Bend, IN is seeking a full time Director of Development to serve as the overall strategic architect and leader of philanthropic activities and relationships for PBS Michiana-WNIT. Using a full portfolio of fundraising techniques and interpersonal skills, takes ownership and accountability of the organization’s fundraising goals.
Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience in management capacity required. Demonstrated strategic and operational planning skills. History of prospect development resulting in large gifts. Superior writing and communication skills. Exceptional listening skills. Relevant computer and software skills. Full description of qualifications and duties is below.
Apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to WNIT Public Television, Attn: Director of Development Search Committee, PO Box 7034, South Bend, IN 46634-7034. Please mention how you learned about this position. EOE
Serves as the overall strategic architect and leader of philanthropic activities and relationships for PBS Michiana-WNIT. Using a full portfolio of fundraising techniques and interpersonal skills, takes ownership and accountability of the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Generates revenue from three primary sources: individual giving (membership, major and principal gifts), program underwriting (sponsorship announcements), grants (private, foundations and government), fundraising events, planned giving, and video production services. Develops and manages a capital campaign.
- Achieves results through an effective annual plan incorporating strong case development, on-air appeals/announcements, resourceful prospecting, personal solicitation, direct mail, special programming, customized proposals, community partnerships/events, electronic/social media appeals, and other media communications.
- Plans and oversees office activities such as the department’s annual operating plan, proposal development, gift reporting/accounting, donor/member stewardship events, donor communications, and volunteers. Operates in an ethical manner consistent with the standards of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). Ensures compliance with internal policies and national standards set by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, PBS (Public Broadcasting Service), Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and other federal and state agencies. Manages the departmental budget.
- Motivates, encourages, supports, trains, supervises, appraises and delegates tasks to the department staff. Leads a positive working environment. Maintains congenial and collaborative relationships with the PBS Michiana-WNIT leadership team to mutually accomplish the mission of the organization.
- Collaborates with other community organizations and PBS. Provides a positive personal and organizational representation of PBS Michiana-WNIT to the public.
- Adjusts to changing business conditions and may have added or modified assignments.
Reports to the President & General Manager.
Bachelor’s degree required. Additional professional certifications preferred.
Skills and Experience:
At least 5 years of experience in management capacity. Effectively managed teams. Demonstrated strategic and operational planning skills. History of prospect development resulting in large gifts. Superior writing and communication skills. Exceptional listening skills. Relevant computer and software skills.
- Donor driven
- Servant leader
- Personable temperament, calm under pressure
- Attentive to detail
- Belief in mission and organization
- Relationship builder, collaborative
- Integrity and honesty
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Organizational summary: PBS Michiana-WNIT is operated by Michiana Public Broadcasting Corporation, a 501(c)(3) organization formed in 1968 to provide public television services to the Michiana region of Southwest Michigan and Northern Indiana. The television station operates as a non-commercial, educational station with a volunteer governance board and a professional staff of 35. Five program services are currently broadcast and streamed. Annual budget is approximately $4M.