Employment and Internships
WNIT Public Television in South Bend, IN seeks a full time Multimedia Journalist specializing in education reporting for a weekly magazine-style program. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or field related to content specialty preferred. Full description of qualifications and duties below.
Apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and a link to or sample of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to WNIT Public Television, Attn: MMJ Search Committee, PO Box 7034, South Bend, IN 46634-7034. Please mention how you learned about this position. EOE
The Multimedia Journalist (“MMJ”) researches, organizes, gathers information, writes and overall creates story/program content using personal talent, originality, imagination, and enterprise coupled with a palette of audio/video/computer equipment for delivery to a variety of distribution platforms. Consistently meets daily deadlines as well as ethical, technical, legal and aesthetic standards. The MMJ may specialize in a specific content area, further described as an addendum, specifying additional attributes, responsibilities and requirements.
- Gather and verify information regarding content through research, interviews, and observation.
- Organize gathered information, determine journalistic approach, and write scripts according to prescribed editorial standards.
- Perform as an on-camera reporter
- Operate video, audio, and computer production equipment in a competent and artistic manner.
- Create engaging finished reports/documentaries from the gathered materials suitable for distribution to web, broadcast television, radio and newspaper.
- Serve as a back-up producer.
- Assist with other company responsibilities when assigned.
- Highly skilled writer, reporter, and multimedia equipment operator.
- Dynamic on-camera presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professional appearance for contact with community representatives.
- Proactive, “can-do” attitude.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects.
- Self-motivated, self-starter, ability to perform congenially in deadline-driven environment.
- Able to work collaboratively with a team or independently, as needed
- Ability to work irregular and long hours.
- Strong attention to quality, information depth, accuracy, detail, and balanced content
- Skilled at making complex topics understandable to general public
- Adherence to journalism, ethics and best practice standards (SPJ Code of Ethics/RTDNA Code of Ethics)
- Enthusiasm for the mission of WNIT and the role of public media in a changing journalistic environment
- Bachelor degree in journalism, communications, or field related to content specialty.
- High school diploma with additional certification and sufficient experience considered.
Skills and Experience:
- For college graduates, strong and credible MMJ internship. Additional experience desirable.
- For non-college graduates, 2 years broadcast field production experience, with additional certification in journalism skills.
- For all, compelling writer and storyteller.
- For all, high degree of technical and artistic skill operating video cameras and auxiliary equipment, ability of operate audio equipment, solid skills operating non-linear editing systems with proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite software particularly Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects, computer literate with exceptional skills managing and posting content to websites.
- Ability to participate in social media associated with WNIT (including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others).
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, proof of insurability
Classification: Full-time, Exempt.
WNIT Television – Multimedia Journalist
Content Specialty Addendum
All responsibilities, traits, and skills associated with a Multimedia Journalist. In addition…