- 1 lb chopped Walnuts
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Cloves (ground)
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 lb Phyllo dough
- 1 lb / 16 oz Butter or Olive Oil
- Syrup (see below)
- 3 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- Juice of half a lemon
- (optional) 2-3 tbsp Honey
Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan and boil gently for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add honey if desired. Pour cooled syrup over hot Baklava.
- Combine nuts, sugar and spices
- Trim phyllo to pan size (cut with scissors as needed)
- Butter pan - usually 13x9 but can use any size you'd like
- Line pan with ½ of the phyllo sheets and butter or oil each sheet before placing next sheet on top.
- Place nut and sugar mixture in pan
- Place remaining sheets of phyllo on top of nut mixture
- Score into serving size pieces prior to baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Lower temperature to 300 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour cooled syrup on hot Baklava