- 2 Tbsp salted butter, divided
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb sirloin steak, sliced thinly, against the grain (this helps keep it tender)
- 2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 c beef broth
- ½ tsp ground mustard seed, or 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ lb egg noodles, dry
- ½ c sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
1) Sauté the mushrooms in butter for two or three minutes over medium heat and then pull from heat and set aside
2) Add another tbsp of butter and sauté the onions on high for two minutes or so.
3) Toss the beef with 2 tbsp of flour to coat and then add it to the pan with the onions. Cook until the beef is browned, about three to four minutes
4) Add the broth, tomato paste, and mustard powder to the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits and incorporate them into the sauce.
5) Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the beef reaches the texture you like.
6) In a small bowl, place the sour cream and then pour a small portion of the sauce into it, perhaps a third of a cup, to warm it. Then add the mixture back to the pan and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7) Serve over noodles, hash brown potatoes, or rice-potatoes are traditional in Russia
• Sautéed shoestring potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, or cooked egg noodles