Easy Korean Spicy Rice Cakes – 2 servings
300 grams of rice cakes (cylindrical form) or about 7 oz. If using frozen, thaw and separate, them soak in warm water for 20 mins to soften.
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cabbage leaves, sliced into medium sized strips
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds for garnish.
Tteokbokki Sauce – Mix in a bowl well:
- 2 T gochujang (Korean chile paste)
- 2 T sugar
- ½ t Korean chili powder, or chili powder
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/3 c water
Warm skillet (or wok) on medium high heat until hot. Add 1 T cooking oil (more or less) and onion. Stir until softened.
Add cabbage slices and stir until softened.
Add rice cakes and sauce. Mix well, stir until fish cakes are cooked through about 2 mins. Reduce heat to low. Add green onion, Stir in quickly. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
Optional add ins: Sliced sardines. 1-2 chopped anchovies. Asian fish cakes. Sliced pork.